Friday, November 27, 2009

Mitten amidst the turkey

Finished up another flip top mitten. This one is a bit different as it has a nice flap to tuck into the opening to insure no wind can slide in their when wearing the mitten closed.I'm happy with how it turned out and have CO it's mate getting about half way done yesterday between making bread, and other miscellaneous holiday prep.

Had a very nice day with BFF, F, and his hubby, B. Just talking, knitting, drinking coffee, and preparing Thanksgiving dinner. The rolls turned out beautifully as did the loaf of bread. Nice and crusty with a soft, soft, center. Best bread I've done in years. Think my grandmother was standing over my shoulder reminding me of every trick she taught me. F kept say, "The recipe says....." and I kept smiling and did it by memory. "It's a feel...you just know when there is enough flour and the texture is smooth!"

Baking bread is one of the links to my maternal lineage. When Grandma came to visit, she'd always make at least two batches of bread and we learned to slice the bread right out of the oven without burning our fingers or tongues. The butter melted into the bread it was so hot. Can't beat that on a cold wintery day when the wind is howling and the snow flying in every direction. It was pretty good yesterday, too, with temps in the 60s and the AC on!!


It's all a matter of perspective: "You know, there are certain days that remind me of why I ran for this office," President Obama said. "And then there are moments like this--where I pardon a turkey and send it to Disneyland."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really am glad you're commenting. Please make sure I can find you by insuring you leave an e-mail address. It's so frustrating to have someone ask a question and no way to answer them! Thanks!