Monday, April 28, 2008

More Muffatees for MIttnz


Here is pair twelve...and even dozen now! These are so quick to make it just boggles the mind. I have another pair for my upstairs project and another pair started downstairs.

Today Youngest Granddaughter is being evaluated by Child Find. Although they don't diagnose, they can help determine if she will qualify for some extra help. I really don't know what to expect from them or what help it will give us. So much of what I see appears to be ways to make the autistic child appear "normal." I'm not really interested in that. I want to learn how to make the life of a child on the spectrum better for the child, not for the community around it.

I think many parents want their spectrum child to appear normal. They don't want anyone to know their child is autistic. As a person on the spectrum, I don't have those goals. I want to learn how to help her quality of life better. She is on the spectrum. She always will be. Passing for normal just creates anxiety within the spectrum person. Although everything looks good from an outside view, the insides are churning. And sometimes that's the way it has to be in order to get something one needs. But it's not a way to live life. I know. I've been trying to do it for over 50 years.

I imagine deaf parents feel very much the same when someone wants to "fix" their deaf child. There is nothing "wrong" with being deaf and there really isn't a need to be like the hearing people.

Anyway, there will be much knitting going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really am glad you're commenting. Please make sure I can find you by insuring you leave an e-mail address. It's so frustrating to have someone ask a question and no way to answer them! Thanks!