Sunday, March 30, 2008

Nothin' New


I've been knitting and reading. I found my book holder and have enjoyed doing some "mindless" knitting while reading my Anne McCaffrey Freedom books.

My mindless knitting was CO yet another pair of mittnz. (We are not going to discuss the two pair of fingerless mittnz that have mates in various stages of completion.)

So, I finished one mittn yesterday. It's black, and you know how hard it is to get a pic of something black that doesn't end up looking like a blob. Hence no picture. I was playing around, and didn't want to do ribbing.

Using a provisional CO, I CO 14 sts on size 5 needles with Red Heart WW. Garter st for about 6.5 inches. Removed the provisional CO and did a 3 needle bind off to close the garter st into a cuff.

Picked up 32 sts around the edge and knitted for 3 inches. Made a place for an afterthought thumb (EZ's thumb trick) using 7 sts. Knit for another 3 inches. Used a spiral decrease of k6, skp repeated around. Then an even round. Then k5, skp around and continued until there were 8 sts. Gathered those and secured the tail.

Take out the waste yarn at the thumb site, pick up sts and knit for 2 inches. The mittn will fit a small hand...say 10-16 year old girl or small woman. To make larger, increase the number of CO sts and increase from 3 to 3.5 inches of knitting. Again, the nice thing about charity knitting is that it will fit someone!

This makes a nice long mittn with a "cuff" that is long enough to fold up or leave down and have it reach up under the jacket sleeve.

When I was a kid, I hated snowball fights. Not because of getting hit, but because the cuff on my mittnz was always so short and my inside wrists got wet and cold from scooping up snow. This mittn certainly has nice long cuffs!

Today's goals are to finish my book (last one in the Freedom series), finish the second black mittn and maybe get going on one of the sibling to the orphan hand warmers I have here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really am glad you're commenting. Please make sure I can find you by insuring you leave an e-mail address. It's so frustrating to have someone ask a question and no way to answer them! Thanks!