Monday, December 17, 2007

It's working!

My "new" method of fair isle is working! The bottom skull is complete.
Skull Sox 3
See how I didn't have to carry the white yarn all the way around like I did on the top skull? When I started the skull I did it just like you would any intarsia, working from the bottom of the chart, right to left. When I finished the first row of white, I dropped it and continued around with the black.

Arriving back where I needed white again, I just slipped all the white sts. Then I turned my work and purled back with the white that I'd left on the wrong side of the motif. Picked up the black, left a nice loose float across the white and continued around with the black. When I got to the motif this time, the white yarn was waiting for me to work across. Dropped it when finished and continued around with the black.

Now to give credit where it is due, I didn't think of this. Someone on Knittinghelp.com suggested it to someone else and it stuck in the back of my mind as a possible solution. When I find out who it was, I'll give them credit here. Anyway, I love that I can add a motif or two in my socks or hats without it being a pain!

Youngest Daughter came down with the flu at work. Had to go get her as she couldn't drive home. She called out for today, too. My Eldest Grandson has had some kind of long lasting flu. No symptoms except upchucking. He was out of school for a whole week. Hope this isn't what's happening here. And, Lord, I hope none of the rest of us get it.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same problem. I made a dice bag for my hubby that has the Green Lantern comic book hero symbol on it. I must have ripped it apart ten times because it was too tight.
    When you say you slipped the white sts. You mean that you put them over onto the right hand needle (for English style)? I'm not sure I entirely understand.
    I finally finished the bag by putting two fingers between the needle and the CC thread as I brought it around. I ended up doing it as if it were an I-cord. I know there has to be a better way, but whenever I try the "wrong side, right side" method, it turns out a mess.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I really am glad you're commenting. Please make sure I can find you by insuring you leave an e-mail address. It's so frustrating to have someone ask a question and no way to answer them! Thanks!