Sunday, January 7, 2007

January 7, 2007


I spent almost all day Friday at my friend, F's house. I taught him to knit last fall and he worked so hard on it he wore the paint off the Boye needles I'd bought him! He stated when he learned that he was just going to knit and purl and make simple things like scarves and hats. His knitting improved and he got bored. When I left to visit my son for Christmas he was still knitting hats and scarves with very, very simple patterns. By the time I got back, he was knitting cables. He's making this afghan. The cable pattern is simple, but it's got increases (K2tog) and decreases (psso). He even figured out a way to keep track of the pattern rows by putting each row on a page of a little 3 x 5 spiral notebook. He bought a row counter as added insurance, too. Then I showed him martian mischief's yarn row counter and he was truly impressed....especially at the no cost aspect as we are both on fixed incomes.

F has Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) from a tumor he had removed a couple years ago. I taught him to knit hoping it would help integrate right and left brain function. I think it's helping....and even if it's not, his quality of life has greatly improved with the addition of knitting in his life.

My friend, G, came by to sit-n-knit with me yesterday. She's making a gansey for my Eldest Granddaughter (EG). It's a great wool, Wool of the Andes Bulky Hand Dye, from KnitPicks. The color is called Impatiens and is pictured above. I can't wait to see it. She's going through empty nest syndrome as her two teen-aged daughters are both working and spending most of their free time at friends' homes.

Let's see....I finished the back of the baby sweater I'm knitting. Now on to the sleeves. I also finished a cozy for my daughter's new MP3 player

I thought I'd share the scarf pattern for the Grey Scarf I'm making. It's a simple conservative scarf if done in a solid color or a gradual color change. It'd be cool with stripes or other changes.

CO multiple of 4+2 (I think I did 30)

Row 1 and all odd numbered rows (WS): K2, *YF, sl 2 sts as if to purl, K2*

Row 2 and all even numbered rows (RS): Knit across

Repeat until scarf is as long as you'd like. Add fringe if desired. (Girl on the Rocks has a great video for adding fringe.)

OTN: Grey scarf (my own pattern), Strawberry Pie Shawl without the strawberries, Baby Sweater

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really am glad you're commenting. Please make sure I can find you by insuring you leave an e-mail address. It's so frustrating to have someone ask a question and no way to answer them! Thanks!