Thursday, June 18, 2009

Charity Knitting - Being of Service


Chicken Stitches is having a contest with service in mind....

I finally got the Hexie blanket washed and ready for mailing. Today I search for a box and with luck, tomorrow it will be heading to the Reservation with the hope it'll be including in an upcoming auction there. I received more Hexies while I was on vacation, so today I hope to pull all those out, lay out another blanket and start joining them.Some of you may know I homeschooled all six of my kids. In actuality, I unschooled them. John Holt started this trend in Growing Without Schooling. My philosophy is that people will learn what they need to know when they need to know it. My youngest daughter, at almost 28, decided she needed her GED in order to persue an educational path. She took her pretests over the last two weeks, and without any prep at all, no classes, no study guides, just walked in off the street and took the tests, she passed them all with the lowest score at 510 and the highest score a perfect 800. "Approximately 68 percent of all graduating high school seniors earn scores between 400 and 600 on the GED standard score scale. Only 2 percent of graduating high school seniors earn scores lower than 300 or higher than 700." I'm proud!

If you have someone in your life that has Asperger's Syndrome please go read The Waiting Game on Rachel's blog. She describes what an afternoon for us is like.

2 comments:

  1. The hex blanket is absolutely gorgeous. Someone will be delighted.

    I read "what an afternoon is like". I was exhausted at the end and it really must be difficult to deal with. Is there medication that helps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking a part in my contest. I loved the blanket.

    ReplyDelete

I really am glad you're commenting. Please make sure I can find you by insuring you leave an e-mail address. It's so frustrating to have someone ask a question and no way to answer them! Thanks!