Monday, January 5, 2009

Hats, Socks, and Philosophies

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Both socks are finished, sans heels. And first heel has been started. If all goes well, I should be able to finish both heels today. Then mend the socks Second Son sent back, and the package should be ready send out this week.I spent a little time crocheting a baby hat last night. Didn't have a pattern with me but it turned out okay! The model is a grapefruit from my tree in the back yard.

Both the lemon and the grapefruit are loaded with fruit. Unfortunately, most of the fruit on the lemon is so far up there that we'll never get it down. However the local food bank will come and pick it if I donate it, which is fine. How many lemons can one family go through?

The kids are heading back to school today.

I so want to buy this from Sock Pixie, but can't think of a single thing I'd make with it for myself.
I so hate (sometimes) the philosophy my father had of, "You have a pair of shoes, hat, pair of mittens, etc., you don't need another one." That is so logical to me and so so true. So, I wear the same shoes every day and wear them out. I made myself a hat two winters ago. I finally gave my mittens away cuz I never wear them and wear my handwarmers. Socks, you have to change every day and it's not economical to wash them out every night and hope they are dry the next day, so I have several pairs of handmade socks (but lately have been thinking I should give some away cuz I don't need that many pair). So the impulse purchase of 220 yards of yarn for no known purpose will not only make me feel guilty, but I'll not use it for years waiting for the "right" project that will never appear....

On the other hand, such a philosophy allows me to live rather comfortably on next to no income. Without pretty balls of yarn....

Keeping the "We" in "Yes, We Can!"

If you buy second hand stuff for your kids, you better hurry!

Wisebread is a good blog to subscribe to. Today has a 40% of coupon at Borders and before Christmas I got a DVD player for Youngest Daughter for $17 and change, including shipping!

Motivation is what makes us change....so before you spend money to help you with your resolutions this year, understand what really makes the change.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that shoes last longer if they get a chance to breathe between wearings? A good reason to have more than one pair.

    I think it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking we don't deserve to treat ourselves well. While you are knitting for others, Lizzie, don't forget to knit something for yourself once in a while!

    ReplyDelete

I really am glad you're commenting. Please make sure I can find you by insuring you leave an e-mail address. It's so frustrating to have someone ask a question and no way to answer them! Thanks!