Friday, November 28, 2008

No Knittin'

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

But lots of cookin'! Youngest Daughter had to work, so the brunt of fixing T-Day dinner fell to me. I rose to the task! Up at 4is in the AM, I started the bread. One pan of rolls, a loaf of bread (for turkey sandwiches) and a pan of Monkey Bread. Dip walnut sized pieces of bread dough into butter and line the bottom of a bundt pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Repeat until pan is about two-thirds full. Let rise and bake like a normal loaf of bread. Let cool for a bit, turn out onto a plate and pull to eat. Yum!

Other menu items included: turkey, stuffing, gravy, smashed potatoes, squash, green bean casserole, pasta & veggie salad, fruit salad, and brownies. Our desert guest bailed and so we were sans pie. That's okay...it's not like we needed it.

All my local kids were here, and heard from the family in Tennessee. After dishes were done, and a few rounds of Disney Scene It, upstairs to doze in front of the TV. I did eventually get several rounds on the Rainbow Hat before bed.

Keeping the "We" in "Yes, We Can!"

Today is Make Something Day to counteract National Buy Something and More of It Day aka Black Friday. Catalog for Buy Nothing Day - They are priceless!

I don't think any of us have problems with making things. I mean it's what we do for fun! I have a reputation among the family for making all the gifts I give...which I do pretty much. Even when I know they want something else from the big box electronic store. It's the principle of the thing, but it's hard, sometimes, to know that even if I did have the money, I wouldn't get them the present they want most.... I don't know, maybe when they are old and see that money doesn't really buy happiness, they will understand.

Participating in a gratitude economy is, I think, profoundly different than riding a prosperity bubble or reacting to the siren of guilt. It is a way of living that both appreciates and shares God’s abundance. So, join me this week in spending justly, spending less, and giving away more money –- starting by giving thanks. Rachel Hope Anderson from Boston Faith and Justice Network

I watched the 20/20 interview Barbara Walters had with the Obamas. I was really pleased to hear two comments: "We don't buy our kids anything for Christmas. With all the family and friends they get enough stuff and don't need any more." "We don't spank our children. There is no need to."

1 comment:

  1. I watched the interview also. I loved Obama's sense of humor about getting a dog, that he didn't want a girly dog or a yappy one....lol. Can't wait for him to be sworn into office!!!

    ReplyDelete

I really am glad you're commenting. Please make sure I can find you by insuring you leave an e-mail address. It's so frustrating to have someone ask a question and no way to answer them! Thanks!