Thursday, November 20, 2008

It's Tubular, Dude!

This came up at Knitting Daily recently. It looks like a great way to start a project...which I may do today!

I didn't get much knitting done yesterday. It ended up to be a day of running errands, getting gas, buying a skein of yarn to swatch for a sweater, out for lunch, and well, you get the picture. Worked on the Pelerine some last night while watching TV after I swatched for the sweater.



Keeping the "We" in "Yes, We Can!"

Today Kim talks about why we shop! It's kind of a startling revelation. Who'd a thunk that our shopping is an attempt to connect with other people. And if that's true, think what a pathetic attempt at connecting is shopping on the net and on the Home Shopping Channel?

Interestingly enough, volunteering (make a warm hat and win prizes) seems to provide far more satisfaction than shopping.

If you're not subscribing to Kim's blog, I would strongly suggest it. Lots of insight about the economy and on people.

So, there's a new show on Planet Green called Stuff Happens, hosted by Bill Nye the Science Guy. It's great. Last night one of the topics was Cow Flatulence. Did you know, cows produce more greenhouse gases than planes, trains and automobiles combined? And it can be fixed by feeding the cows garlic to aid in digestion. Of course, I'm thinking that the milk, for sure, and perhaps the beef would taste garlicy then, which is probably why they don't do it. Christopher's got more info on cow "emmissions".

Bill Nye's suggestion was that each of us eat one less meal a week using red meat. He actually suggested one vegetarian meal a week, cuz pigs and chickens produce gases, too, but not to the extent cows do. I don't know about you, but I get really overwhelmed at how drastic the statistics are these days about the environment and really don't know what to do about it. I know when individuals group together with a common purpose we can do great things. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has", said Margaret Mead. So I can go vegetarian one night a week. And I can (and did yesterday) take my own bags when I go shopping. And I can do charity work. Will you, a thoughtful, committed citizen join me? More good stuff at New American Dream.

Slow Food. Leaving less of a carbon footprint in the foods you eat and buy. See if there is a local group for you.

Simplify the Holidays. Take the Plunge! As the planet starts heating up, maybe it’s time to finally go cold turkey. Take the personal challenge by locking up your debit card, your credit cards, your money clip, and see what it feels like to opt out of consumer culture completely, even if only for 24 hours. While you’re at it, what better time to point out real alternatives to unbridled consumption – and the climate uncertainty that it entails – by taking your Buy Nothing Day spirit to the streets?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the cow information has me a little worried. It's only in recent years that Vermont has more people than cows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good info and I've forwarded some of it to reluctant friends. Beef almost doesn't taste good to me any more. Notice I said "almost". It's still good very occasionally.
    Thanks also for the video.

    ReplyDelete

I really am glad you're commenting. Please make sure I can find you by insuring you leave an e-mail address. It's so frustrating to have someone ask a question and no way to answer them! Thanks!