Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Flip Flop Socks

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Here's one last view of the little shrug. All finished and modeled. I was very happy to see she would wear it and indeed wore it to school yesterday morning.
This is one finished Flip Flop sock. I'm using Cascade Fixation yarn which is 98.3% cotton, 1.7% elastic sock yarn and size US 4 needles. They are for my daughter living in Hawaii. Although they aren't a necessity there, I thought they were kinda cute for "something different". A very quick mindless knit. They yarn is very stretchy which is nice as the cotton has no memory and the ribbing is relatively useless. If I use the yarn again, I'll definitely make garter stitch cuffs rather than ribbing so it doesn't look all stretched out before they are even worn.

When all I did was crochet, I got to the point I could look at an item and figure out how to make it. I'm starting to get that way with knitting, in a small way. I've been seeing several WIPs of the Tulip Cardigan. It's very similar to the design of the shrug pictured at the top of the page. OMG, I could make that "on my own". I like that skill as it gives me all kinds of freedom to enhance as I like. All this means is I knit way too much!

See this pic from Grace's blog? Click on it so you can see the dampness of the bench, the street's wet and it just looks cold and damp. I so want to be there. All bundled up with wool socks inside my clear boots, my purple hat and multicolored mittens....walking down that damp street going for coffee, or taking the dog for her constitutional... I'm so tired of dry and hot. I've lived in dry and hot now for over 25 yearns. I lived in damp and cold for the first 20 years of my life and did a three year stint in Alaska. I miss damp and cold.

5 comments:

  1. Lizzie, that is the sweatest little shrug. I love how you have the sleeves and the I-cord tie. Very fashionable and I bet your little grandaughter felt special wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Yarn Harlot has done the Tulip Cardigan (FYI). It's real cute.

    You are so just in time with that tip on the fixation! My mom is diabetic and is super picky about her socks (only white, cotton blends, etc.). I got some fixation to make her some and was getting ready to start a pair. I'm glad you mentioned about the garter stitch cuff and the needle size. I was wondering 3s or 4s...I'll start with 4s and see how it goes. Looking forward to a quick knit after Dad's Size 10, 9-inch cuff, 9 stitches per inch on size 1s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to that! I am sick of living in a hot, humid climate with virtually no Autumn or Spring. I love winter here, usually a fair amount of rain and thunderstorms, but it never lasts long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back home we call flip flops "slippahs" or "slippers"... I still have family there so might knit a pair for my sis!

    ReplyDelete

I really am glad you're commenting. Please make sure I can find you by insuring you leave an e-mail address. It's so frustrating to have someone ask a question and no way to answer them! Thanks!